Jewish Inquisition Records for Mexico exist and in this post, I provide you with more information and links to where you can find those records.
I will first tell you what the Inquisition is and then what a heretic is. Finally, I will list links to where you can find records.
Before we begin.
What is the Inquisition?
The term Inquisition refers to the Catholic courts established by the Spanish to find and punish heretics.
What is a Heretic?
In the 1390's Spanish Jews accepted baptism to save their lives and thus they became known as conversos.
Many retained their religion and thus observed Jewish laws and customs while pretending to be Catholics.
It was these Jews that the inquisition wanted.
Do We Have Jewish Ancestry?
I can not speak for all of Mexico but in Northeastern Mexico we do.
Based on my DNA results with FamilyTreeDNA, I myself have 5% Sephardic. I have seen percentages up to 20%.
Have I Found Records for My Ancestors Proving They Were Jewish
No I have not.
Why not? Well as Don Israel Cavazos Garza said along the lines of "a document showing you were Jewish could mean life or death".
Thus, we can assume that no written record were kept by Jewish families.
I have found some historical echoes that two of my ancestors might have had been Jewish.
One tried to kill a priest because the priest refused to pay the money he owed him.
The other defaced a crucifix with his sword.
Are We Really Jewish?
I do not consider my self Jewish. Yes, I have Jewish ancestry and even if some traditions have been passed down does that make one Jewish?
The same can be said for my African, Middle Eastern, and other ethnicities.
Jewish Inquisition Records for Mexico
Here are the Jewish Inquisition Records for Mexico that I have found to date. The first link is to Two index books and the second link is to all the microfilms available about the inquisition in Mexico.
- Indice del Ramo de Ynquisición (Index of the Branch of the Inquisition). 2 vols. México City: Archivo General de la Nación, 1978 - Go to FamilySearch Catalog
- Procesos del Santo Oficio de México, 1522–1820. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1952–1954 - View the Available 309 Films
- Inquisition Search At FamilySearch - 66 items Available
Other Resources for Jewish Inquisition Records for Mexico
Here are other resources for Jewish Inquisition Records for Mexico that may be of interest to you.
- Guide to the Mexican Inquisition Collection, Undated, 1572-1914 - Read More
- Sephardic Gen Resources - Visit Website
- Jewish Gen, free, easy-to-use genealogy website features tens of millions of records, research tools, and other resources to help those with Jewish ancestry research and find-family members. - Visit Website