Here you will find the Genealogy Resources for Queretaro, Mexico that can be used to find your ancestors. The colonization and conquest of Querétaro by the Spanish began with the settlements at San Juan del Río, Querétaro and Huimilpan between 1529 and 1531. Conquistador Herán Pérez de Bocanegra along with a local Otomi lord from Jilotepec named Conín, who was also known as Fernando de Tapia, entered the Otomi areas in what is now the city of Querétaro.
During the rest of the 16th century, Querétaro would form the northern extension of known lands to the Spanish conquerors. The Spanish initially shared power in the area with local indigenous leaders until well into the 17th century. However indigenous power eventually waned completely. The Spanish did not subdue and evangelized the last of the resistant peoples, the Chichimec Jonaz until the end of the 18th century. During this time the Spanish were was mostly concentrated in the city of Querétaro, which became the starting point for expeditions, missions and conquests heading north.
You can expect to find records going all the way back up until 1590, but as indicated by the above paragraph you might find documents going back all the way to 1529-1531, the thing is finding them.
Catholic Church Records
- Catholic Church Records, 1590-1970 – (Browse Only)
- Mexico, Baptisms, 1560-1950 – (Search Only) Note: Not everything has been indexed.
- Mexico, Deaths, 1680-1940 – (Search Only) Note: Not everything has been indexed.
- Mexico, Marriages, 1570-1950 – (Search Only) Note: Not everything has been indexed.
Civil Registration Records
- Civil Registration, 1864-2005 – (Browse Only)
- Civil Registry Online Database – (Unfortunately you can only verify records and not search for people. You need the document id.)
Facebook Pages or Groups
- Queretaro State Genealogy Group – This is our official Facebook group for Queretaro. Join today to network with other people researching ancestors in this state.
- Historia Cadereytense – Facebook page about the History of Cadereyta, Queretaro, Mexico
- QUERETARO, Historia y Pasaje – a Facebook group dedicated to old photos, stories, and anecdotes of Queretaro.
History of Queretaro
- Queretaro – Wikipidia.com’s page about Queretaro
- History of Queretaro – history.com’s page on Queretaro History.
- Historia de Santiago de Querétaro – Timeline of Queretaro’s History.
Information about Municipios of Queretaro
- 18 Municipios – Page that contains a map of Queretaro and all of its municipios.
- Conoce Todos Nuestros Municipios – Official government website containing information about each individual municipality.
Queretaro Genealogy Forums
- Gen Forum – Forum about Queretaro, you can respond or inquire by just registering.
- Queretaro Ancestry Forums – Forum about Queretaro hosted by Ancestry.com
Queretaro State and Church Archives
- Could not locate an official website for them nor are there any online searchable databases.
Websites Focusing on Queretaro Genealogy Research
- Guadalajara Dispensas – Some marriage dispensations can be found here for the state of Queretaro.
I know that these are not all the Genealogy Resources for Queretaro that are out there and I am sure there are more resources but this is a start. As I come across more Genealogy Resources for Queretaro I will be posting them on this page. Also if your favorite resource is not mentioned here please send me an email I would love to include it.